Information Analyst – IRC222311
Medical Research Council, Head Office
£21,733, Fixed Term for 18 Months, Full Time
The Medical Research Council (MRC) is a publicly-funded organisation dedicated to improving human health. We support research across the entire spectrum of medical sciences, in universities and hospitals, in our own units and institutes in the UK, and in our units in Africa.
About the role:
To provide Management Information services to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
Main duties / key responsibilities
• Support the delivery of data and information requests as part of a planned programme of outputs or to respond to ad hoc requests.
• Fully utilise the reporting and system tools as appropriate to extract, analyse and present the data to provide the requested information.
• Understand the MRC’s data as it is held in its source systems, the processes that creates and maintains this data to ensure consistency and accuracy of Management Information reporting.
• Have an understanding of the Freedom of Information (FoI) and Data Protection policies so that these principles can be applied in business reporting and information provision activities.
• Support business users in the use of MI systems and understanding of MI outputs.
• Maintain good and proactive relations with other MRC staff to manage expectations and ensure the provision of a professional and customer focused service.
• Work with the relevant Senior Information Analyst in the identification and implementation of changes to systems and processes to improve data and MI functionality.
• Undertake any other duties appropriate to the post’s band agreed with senior management.
• The public, government departments, UK SBS Ltd, RCUK, research organisations, third party suppliers
• Research Programmes Group, Corporate Affairs Group, Strategy Group, Finance, other MRC departments, Units/Institutes, suppliers
Education / Qualifications / Training required:
• English and Maths GCSE at grade C or above (or equivalent).
• Educated to A level or equivalent
• Educated to degree level
• Working knowledge of the medical research community/research process
• Understanding of SQL Server 2008 R2 and Server Management Studio (or equivalent)
Previous work experience required:
• Experience of data management covering data collection, extraction, cleansing, user acceptance testing and analysis
• Experience of presenting and explaining analytical information
• Experience of working in HR, finance or a research funding environment
• Experience of using Oracle systems and/or OBIEE
Knowledge and skills
• Fully competent in using MS Office packages including intermediate MS Excel skills
• Experience in data extraction and manipulation using query tools
• Ability to deliver accurate and detailed work to tight timescales
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to liaise with customers at all levels
• Able to work both independently and as part of a team
• Good customer services skills
• Working knowledge of statistical analysis techniques
• Experience of using SQL Server and competent in writing and testing SQL code
• Advanced Excel Skills
• Good organisation and prioritisation skills
• Logical and methodical
• Motivated and enthusiastic
• Proactive in operational and customer facing interactions
• Ability to stay calm under pressure
• Ability to liaise effectively with people at all levels
• Willingness to go the extra mile, providing a value added service
• A willingness to embrace change and identify opportunities for improving services
• To work early and/or late when required to get the job done.
• Occasional travel to the MRC’s London office is required
The MRC is a great place to work and progress your career, be it in scientific research or the support functions.
The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. We pride ourselves on giving you the opportunity to undertake formal and informal development activities to help you get the most from your role here and to support your career development.
Choosing to come to work at the MRC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits from a final salary pension scheme and excellent holiday entitlement to access to employee shopping/travel discounts and salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme and childcare vouchers, as well as the chance to put the MRC on your CV in the future.
Our success is dependent upon our ability to embrace diversity and draw on the skills, understanding and experience of all our people. We welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of gender, race, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability or age. As users of the “Two Ticks” disability symbol, we guarantee to interview all applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy.
Final appointments will be subject to pre-employment screening.
How To Apply
The closing date for applications is 4th May 2016. The interview for this vacancy is to be confirmed. Only online applications will be accepted and should be submitted in the form of an up-to-date c.v. and covering letter (ensuring that the IRC reference is included in the file name description of each document uploaded). Please click the apply now button and you will be re-directed to our internal webpage to complete an online application process.