My client, a newly formed European business owned by large US entity is seeking a European Financial Controller to join them for a 3 month contract with scope to go permanent.
Starting with the acquisition of a high revenue business in the UK the intention is to acquire similar businesses across Europe to build a cohesive whole which will be a leader in its field.
Main purpose of the role
To assist the European CFO in establishing the Europe Head Office finance function, creating the mechanism for reporting and forecasting the results of the European management and ownership entities, the UK and future acquisitions. Contributing to the control and integration of future acquisitions.
* Prepare statutory accounts and manage the audits for five newly-formed holding companies, including consolidated accounts at two levels
* Take on accounting for the holding companies (currently done in US), utilising existing UK accounting platform
* Implement group VAT registration or alternative solution to ensure proper VAT treatment of costs such as transaction advice from around Europe
* Design and implement a (consolidated) reporting system – capable of dealing with new acquisitions. This will entail investigating various options such as an independent European solution versus utilising an existing US tool
* Advise and support finance teams in UK and across Europe as regards their interaction with Head Office and integration into combined business
* Develop and maintain European policies and procedures as necessary
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required
* Accountancy qualification, ideally a chartered accountant
* European Head Office experience or similar, ideally including areas such as treasury, VAT, tax, etc.
* Experience of holding company accounts, including acquisition accounting, consolidation, goodwill/fair value, equity investments, etc
* Experience of UK/US/IFRS GAAP – primary GAAP will be (new) FRS 102
* Ideally experience of functional currency, GAAP differences and similar technical issues
* Experience of dealing with colleagues in different time zones and cultures